Monday, March 16, 2009

Going Inactive

No I'm not... but I feel like it! I have only been to church once in 5 weeks. My kids have had a tough case of hand, foot and mouth and now a horrendous viral infection. It's miserable. From reading everyone else's blogs it seems it's just that time of year it doesn't matter where you live.

Anyways, this past week for mutual we did an interesting activity I wanted to share. My girls have had a lot of problems with fights at school and putting each other down. As a presidency we have been really disappointed. So we had to take drastic measures! I will only share a small part of what we did because it was a long night. But to start off the evening I brought a board with a piece of cardstock pegged to it with all of the girls names written on it. The girls all took turns reading in their meanest voice a negative comment they drew out of a hat and throwing a dart at the names written on the board. They were glad if the dart only hit paper and not a name. After all the girls had a turn we removed the paper with the names to reveal a picture of Christ underneath that was riddled with dart holes. It was good to see their reaction of sorrow and see that they understood that "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

After the night was over and as I was packing my things out to my car I got a few weird looks and I found that I was carrying the ruined picture of Christ where everyone could see it. I felt horrible and stuffed it into the next trash can I came to. Isn't there some kind of way to retire a picture of our Saviour? You know, like a burning of the flag ceremony or something? There should be because I still feel guilty about it!

2 comments:

Matt & Michelle Fam said...

That's so funny. Yeah what would you do?

The Beus Family said...

I did this activity in seminary years ago about being intolerant of others differences and it still inpacts me it is very powerful lesson. I'm sure the picture of Jesus was used for a good purpose. we are coming down to disneyland in OCt. and were sad to here you guys will not be there but congrats on all the hard work and good luck on deciding where to livemaybe we will see you this summer. Roz